SES’s award-winning Renewable Rides program brought 100% solar-powered electric vehicles to the Saskatoon CarShare Co-operative’s fleet of cars. This was a first of its kind in Canada: a car-share program, with electric vehicles, powered by 100% solar energy, for anyone to use!
The use of electric vehicles is growing, in particular with countries banning the sale of new gasoline and diesel cars, such as Austria and South Korea (2020), Norway (2025), India, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Netherlands (2030), and France, China & Britain (2040). What’s unique is that our electric vehicles are powered 100% by solar energy. The SES Solar Co-operative installed 126 solar panels, with 37.8 kilowatts of generation capacity, that provide renewable energy into the Saskatoon grid to power the vehicles.
Car-sharing programs are useful ways for people to travel, especially if trying to cut down on the cost of expensive car ownership. The Saskatoon CarShare Co-operative members have 24-hour access to vehicles and only pay for what they use.
The SES Solar Co-operative and the Saskatoon CarShare Co-operative, along with all of our Renewable Rides team members listed below, provided various elements to the project, including financial support, technical expertise, and in-kind contributions:
- Sun Country Highway is provided electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure, and the design, development, and integration of the EV car share technology
- Saskatchewan Research Council did data analysis on usage and driving conditions impacts on EVs
- Saskatoon Light & Power provided the transfer of renewable energy through a pilot virtual net metering process
- Wardell Gillis provided legal expertise
- Affinity Credit Union hosts an EV charging station and provided financial support towards the purchase of two EVs
- Radiance Co-housing provided financial support towards the purchase of one EV and hosts the solar array and a carshare EV at their building